Dad Warns Parents Of Dangerous ‘Hair Tourniquets’
Kansas father Scott Walker had a huge scare when it came to his daughter Molly’s well-being. The tiny girl, born seven weeks early, was having a crying fit when mom and dad noticed she was overheating. The concerned dad took her sock off to discover something bizarre. Scott and his wife had never seen or heard of this before. Molly wasn’t their first born either, the couple also have a three-year-old daughter.
Scott decided to share his story because with all the hidden dangers out there, it’s important for parents to speak up about their experiences because as we’ve seen in the past, it can save lives.
On Molly’s tiny baby toes, there was a single strand of hair wrapped so tightly around her second largest toe that it cut off circulation from her body. The phenomenon is known as a hair tourniquet, where a strand of hair or even a thread wraps around an infant’s toe cutting off proper blood flow. Fortunately, Molly is doing just fine thanks to her quick-thinking mom who promptly removed it with a pair of tweezers.
“Had a small scare this afternoon with Ms. Molly. What happened was new to me, but apparently not totally uncommon, so I figured I’d share with my fellow parents out there.”
“I was with the family over lunch and Molly was cranky and screaming — nothing out of the ordinary. As worked up as she was getting, she started to overheat, which prompted Jess to remove her socks and cool her down. That’s when we saw her toe. This is called a hair tourniquet, which is literally a strand of hair that, while inside a sock, unexplainably wraps around a toe so tight that it can cut through the skin and potentially cut off blood circulation.”
“Luckily for Molly, she has a mother with medical emergency superpowers who was able to remove the hair with tweezers and a magnifying glass within a few minutes. This picture was taken about 45 minutes after the hair was removed. Unfortunately, the hair managed to cut all the way through Molly’s skin, completely around her toe, but it could have been worse had it gone much longer untreated, or if the hair wasn’t accessible.”
“The doctor told me, for future reference, to always check the toes if the baby is inconsolable. Just an FYI to any parents or care takers out there.”
Please SHARE this important information to help out the parents you know!