Vertigo, the dizziness and nausea that is caused by something going wrong in the inner ear, can make even the simplest tasks seem daunting. When the nausea and dizziness strike, you feel weak and helpless, wishing only for a solution.
The home remedies below should not replace seeking medical advice from your doctor, but you may find that adding them to what your doctor recommends will help aid in your vertigo relief. These 7 remedies can be done from the comfort of your home and are quite simple.
1. Sleep. According to Vertigo Treatment, one of the best things for a person when having a vertigo attack is to take a nap. Often, the vertigo is gone when you awaken.
2. Acupressure. Since napping isn’t always an option, Modern Reflexology says to apply pressure to the P6. It’s located between the two tendons of your arm, three finger-widths below your wrist.
3. Hydrogen peroxide. Vertigo Treatment recommends using hydrogen peroxide as well. Drop the peroxide into the ear until it is full and wait about 10 minutes, until the popping stops. Drain the peroxide out, and the vertigo is supposed to be gone.
4. Ginger. A lot of research hasn’t been done on herbs for vertigo, but WebMD says that ginger appears to give some relief. Remedy My Vertigo says you can take the ginger in capsule form, chew on it raw or make a tea. To make the tea, slice some ginger root and steep in boiling water for 10 minutes. You may want to sweeten it with honey.
5. Ginkgo. Another herb that WebMD says seems to show promise is ginkgo biloba. Vertigo Treatment recommends taking 60 mg twice daily.
6. Apple cider and honey. A rather novel remedy recommended by Medical News Today is apple cider vinegar and honey. This one hasn’t got any science behind it, but many people swear by it. Mix 2 parts honey with 1 part apple cider vinegar.
7. Almonds. Medical News Today shares that although scientists haven’t been able to figure out why, almonds do seem to have an effect on vertigo. You can eat a handful a day, or diy Health Remedy recommends soaking almonds, khuskhus seeds and wheat in water over night to make a paste. Every night, add the paste to warm milk and drink it.
Don’t let vertigo rob you of time with your family and friends. Seek help from your doctor and try some of the remedies above. Take back control of your life.