Nature is calling, but you have to run out the door. Who hasn’t been in this predicament? It makes more a prickly, and quite often embarrassing, situation. After all, the last thing anyone wants is to be out in public, at an important meeting, out on a date with that special someone, or sitting down for a favorite movie, opera, theater performance, or symphony, is have to run to the restroom.
1. Dietary fiber is also known as roughage, according to the Mayo Clinic, and both bulks up and normalizes bowel movements, making them easier to pass through the intestinal system and out the other end.
2. Drinking water is one of the easiest, cleanest things we can do to augment our health. The proper amount of liquid keeps everything moving according to US News, and also removes pollutants from the body.
3. Squatting. Knowing the correct position is key, according to a report from The Guardian. Doctors suggest squatting at a 35-degree angle is more beneficial to inciting a bowel movement.
4. Coffee packs a huge punch of caffeine, usually first thing in the morning. Caffeine stimulates the intestinal and colonic muscles, according to Live Strong, and the rest is just science.
5. Taking a glycerin suppository is close to the last result for most people, largely because the results are guaranteed, but usually a lot more thorough than we want.
6. Eating foods with plenty of probiotics. Probiotics are bacteria that not only help with the digestion process, but also devour other tiny organisms that can potentially cause disease. Yogurt is the most plentiful source of probiotics, and millions of people swear by it according to the National Center for Complimentary and Integrative Health.
7. Having a life as active as possible. Exercise makes the body’s processes speed up. When you’re sitting on the couch watching TV four hours per day, your metabolism slows down and your body gets sluggish.
8. Massaging the perineal area. It may take a little trial and error, and a lot of privacy, but massaging the area between the anus and the sexual organs can be a life saver to help the body relax and begin a bowel movement.