It’s summertime. The sun is shining, the wind is blowing gently and strawberry shortcakes are on the table. However, if you’re like most Americans, you probably made extra shortcakes in fear of the strawberries expiring before you could use them!
Thankfully, there’s a secret trick farmers and fruit enthusiasts do to keep their berries super fresh. Now you can use the same hack to keep your strawberries bright, juicy and flavorful for weeks longer than before!
If you’ve ever opened the refrigerator to see a container full of strawberries rotting away before your eyes, then this trick is for you! Now you’ll be able to enjoy strawberries weeks longer and you don’t have to make any special shopping trips.
Before you get started, you’ll need to gather the following items from your kitchen:
– Container of strawberries (of course!)
– Bottle of white vinegar
– Drinking water
– Large bowl
– Salad spinner (or colander)
– Paper towels
Once you have these items gathered, follow the steps below:
1. Mix one part white vinegar with 5 parts water in the large bowl.
2. Take the container of strawberries and pour them into the liquid mixture in the bowl.
3. Allow the berries to soak for 3-5 minutes.
4. After the 3-5 minutes passes, remove the strawberries and place them into the paper towel-lined salad spinner or colander.
5. Allow the strawberries to dry completely before storing them in a paper towel-lined container inside the fridge.
Now you’ll be able to really get the most out of your summer strawberries without giving up a bit of the flavor. The best part is that the vinegar isn’t detectable after the berries are dry!
Think about all of the delicious strawberry concoctions you can create, all without being worried about rotting.
After you try the vinegar hack, give this strawberry arrangement trick a shot!