A major snowstorm is slamming the Northeast United States as I write this, and I’ve had family asking if I’m prepared. While I laughed off the idea of the storm of the century, I realized I was not ready for a disaster like past superstorms Hurricane Sandy and this year’s Buffalo blizzard.
I’ve seen The Walking Dead, I’ve read amazing survival stories, I’ve had the nightmare! Yet if some kind of disaster actually hit and I was left with nothing to survive off of, I wouldn’t know where to start!
The idea of me going down first during a zombie apocalypse has brought me to the following video, which has seven really great tips for surviving any crisis.
This video, posted by YouTube sensation HouseholdHacker, shares seven awesome life hacks EVERYONE should know:
1. Need some light in a pinch and a candle alone won’t cut it? Grab a soda can and cut open the sides, fold them out and place the candle in. This will reflect your light and give you some decent protection from the elements.
2. If you ever find yourself without a clean water source grab a piece of cloth and 2 containers. Put the dirty water in one container and run the cloth from it to the empty glass. After a short while you will have filtered, muck free water. Remember to boil.
3. Need to get a cooking fire going with minimal effort? Grab an empty egg carton and place charcoal into the slots. Seal it up, light a corner and enjoy.
4. If the mosquitoes are getting bad you can repel them easily using common household herbs. Since you already have that little cooking fire going, sprinkle some basil or drop some rosemary on the coals. The bugs can’t stand it and will stay far away.
5. How about a solar microwave? Grab a small food box and cut out a fold. Wrap the top in aluminum foil and line the inner box with it as well. Place your food inside and give it some time. You now have a solar charged grilled cheese sandwich.
6. Need to find the right direction home? Get a small sliver of metal such as a needle and rub it against your clothing several times. Place the needle on a leaf and float it in some water. The needle will point you North.
7. And finally, the emergency oil lamp. Grab some old cloth and bundle it up. Take a soda can and fill it about half way with olive oil. Place the cloth into the can and light. You have yourself a makeshift oil lamp that will last hours.
Love simple-yet-genius hacks like this? Show LittleThings some love — SHARE this post with friends, and we’ll keep them coming!