A dog has been rescued after she was dyed bright red and sold to a man who ‘really liked the color’.

Animal welfare activists had spotted the dog and were worried that the method used to dye her fur might have harmed her.

Activists immediately whisked away the animal and took her to a nearby shelter.

The dog, nicknamed Scarlet, was spotted on the street with a man who lives in a refugee camp in the Greek town of Schimatari.

Credit: CEN

The man had claimed he paid 150 euros (£135) for the dog because he really liked the color.

After being taken to the animal shelter, Scarlet was put up for adoption.

She is reportedly doing well after she got a good clean up and was given a brand new home.

Although the color has not been completely removed, it is unrecognizable in comparison to when she was first brought in.

The colorant was found to be hair dye. A vet said that thankfully the dog’s skin did not appear to have been harmed by the reckless stunt.

Credit: CEN

The dog’s asylum seeking former owner, who was not named, said he had purchased the dog from vendors in the central square of Omonoia in Athens.

Her new owners have since shared pictures of her looking a lot more like her normal self and less like Clifford the Big Red Dog – and she looks a lot happier for it.

Dog owners are strongly warned against using human products like hair dye on dogs as their fur and skin is significantly different to human skin and hair.

Credit: CEN

In Florida earlier this year, a dog was nicknamed Violet after being found with fur that had been dyed almost totally purple.

This had left her with life-threatening injuries: the Pinellas County Animal Services (PCAS) said in a post on Facebook that she had been found with her eyes swollen shut, burns on her skin and appearing ‘limp and listless’.

After washing as much of the dye off as possible, Violet had to be put under anesthesia to have her fur shaved off, which is when they realised her skin was shedding as a result of the dye.

Violet took three months to start getting better and has since been happily rehomed with new owners.

The PCAS said human hair dye contains toxic chemicals that can be extremely harmful to dogs and can cause burns, blindness and – because dogs instinctively lick themselves – internal poisoning.

They said: “Only use products specifically meant for pets, or you could be putting your pet’s life on the line.”

Featured Image Credit: CEN



You May Also Like

Farmer Refuses To Bend Morals For ‘Shark Tank’ Judges & Earns Himself Deal Of A Lifetime

Shark Tank and its British counterpart Dragon’s Den are reality shows which attract a huge…

Mom Adopts 3rd Sibling After Learning She Was Fostering Son’s Biological Sister

Although Grayson and Hannah didn’t look alike at all, that name written…

Premature Baby Who Had No Visitors For Five Months During Hospital Stay Gets Adopted By Her Nurse

Thank you Liz for being such a compassionate person, you are an…

Matthew McConaughey Gifts Handwritten Love Poems To His Wife Even After 13 Years Together

What a beautiful love story these two share. Hollywood is the place…