As a parent, information is key in keeping your baby safe. One Michigan mother has taken to Facebook to tell a story about how lack of knowledge put her own baby in danger. This medical condition isn’t exactly common knowledge, and she wants every parent to watch out for this!
Heather Fricke’s son Jacob was only 10 weeks old when she changed his diaper and put him down for a 2 hour nap. The sweet little baby never cries or fusses about anything, unless it’s about his basic needs, so when he woke up from his peaceful sleep, Heather checked his diaper just to be sure he was comfortable.
That’s when mom noticed his toes, and she couldn’t believe they had turned a very dark shade of blue! Upon close inspection, Jacob’s dad, Tommy, was stunned to discover something very thin and wire-like wrapped around his feet.
Heather and Tommy were going to a party later that evening, so after Jacob woke up from his nap, she decided it was the perfect time to feed the baby, change his diapers, and put him in some fresh clothes.
“I handed him to his dad Tommy to put socks on him when Tommy realized his two toes were blue and tied together with a strand of hair!!! I immediately took off what I could and had to take him to the ER where we spent a hour and a team of 5 doctors trying to get the rest of MY HAIR off his two toes…”
Doctors told Heather that if she hadn’t removed the hairs that had been wrapped around his 2 toes before coming to the hospital, they would have needed to amputate them.
Heather is urging other parents to be vigilant when they check their baby. Hair Tourniquet Syndrome is a very real medical diagnosis, so it happens more often than people think!
“CHECK YOUR BABYS TOES AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN!!! And if you have a baby boy even his PENIS. Yes I said penis… they are such tiny baby’s and our hair can be such a hazard but it’s something that we never really pay attention to.. so plz share this with all your mom friends with little babies!!!!”
To get her point across, Heather took this picture of her baby’s toes just 12 hours after the hairs were removed. It still looks very raw and painful, and mom is in tears about how poor Jacob must have felt.
Heather wants all the other parents out there to know that knowledge is power, and even the most seemingly benign things may cause problems. When baby-proofing your house, it’s important to remember that strands of hair are like razor-sharp wires to delicate newborn toes.
I had no idea this was even possible but it’s certainly very important to know. It’s hard to believe that a couple of strands of hair could cause so much chaos, but thankfully Heather was able to save Jacob’s teeny little tootsies just in time.