19-Year-Old Dies From One Hit Of Drug Purchased At Store

ADVERTISEMENT

You hear horror stories about drug-related deaths all the time, and typically these deaths are related to overdoses.

But recently, the drug known as “Spice,” or synthetic marijuana, has been gaining in popularity, and just the littlest bit can kill a person.

19-year-old Connor Eckhardt took just one hit of Spice, a legal drug, and he died because of it.

Connor was with friends when the Spice was purchased at a store, and after trying just a little of it, he wound up in a coma. He was on life support for 4 days before eventually being declared brain dead.

Screen-Shot-2016-04-26-at-12.23.25-PM

IMAGE SOURCE: GOINGVIRALPOSTS

Naturally, Connor’s loss was heartbreaking to his family and friends. However, his mom, Veronica, decided to do something about the problem in order to prevent this from happening to others in the future.

Screen-Shot-2016-04-26-at-12.23.07-PM

IMAGE SOURCE: GOINGVIRALPOSTS

Veronica started the Connor Project in order to “help raise awareness of the dangers of synthetic drugs, to effect policy change to help prevent access to these drugs, and to help ensure other families do not lose a loved one to deadly drugs like ‘Spice.’” Connor’s family wants to get the word out about the dangers of synthetic drugs. “You would think it would be safe, would be OK, it’s an alternative to marijuana and it’s anything but that. It’s a deadly poison,” said Connor’s father Devin.

Screen-Shot-2016-04-26-at-12.23.36-PM

IMAGE SOURCE: GOINGVIRALPOSTS

Poison is an appropriate name for it. “Spice” could be any of dozens of chemical compounds that are often manufactured in Chinese, Eastern European or American labs where quality control is not a major concern. According to clinical toxicologist Dr. Aaron Schneir, “with synthetic cannabinoids there has been an explosion of visits [to the emergency room] over the past few years and they haven’t even been around very long.”

Screen-Shot-2016-04-26-at-12.23.15-PM

IMAGE SOURCE: GOINGVIRALPOSTS

Connor is not the first person to have lost his life to this dangerous drug, but his family hopes that he will be the last. We think they are doing valuable work, and we hope this important message spreads to everyone!

Screen-Shot-2016-04-26-at-12.23.48-PM

IMAGE SOURCE: GOINGVIRALPOSTS

What do you think of this tragic story?

SHARE the love, pass it on.

[video_player]

Source

0 Shares